Sunday, February 22, 2009

and inspiration hits..........


so, I belong to a group on Ravelry called "as seen in movies". Its a great group that is inspired by the knitwears in the many movies it is often highlighted in. Some just post about great knits from the movies, some try to find patterns that are similar to something they've seen, and some create their own versions of them. Well, someone posted this past week they saw in the movie "A Perfect Holiday". I instantly loved the hat!!! I'm no designer by any means, but the hat was a simple enough thing that I figured I could work something out like it. You can see a clip on YouTube of the hat here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9bqJJXgjMU&eurl=http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/as-seen-in-the-movies/533392/1-25

Anyways, so my first attempt, I had a couple of issues with. I started to run out of yarn, this was supposed to be all cream colored, but I had black in the same type of yarn, so I improvised and gave it some stripes towards the top. Then, the ribbon that I had bought was WAY too stiff to go thru it and look good (or feel good on the head), so I raided one of my many, MANY craft drawers for something that would not be so dense - insert pink ribbon instead of black decorative ribbon. Well, I also knit the hat too long (maybe I wouldn't have run out of cream if I hadn't, eh?), and I don't think the space between the rows of y/o's is wide enough to show the criss-crossing of the ribbon well. Sooooooo - I'm off to try again. Hoping that test run #2 I will be much happier with. I just raided my stash and found a yarn that I like, and have 3 skeins of, so I won't have to worry about running out at least this time! We'll see how it goes..........

No comments:

Post a Comment